Wednesday, July 18, 2007

It's oh so firken freezing!!!!

It's so damn cold that I have gloves on, which makes it quite difficult to type. I'm wearing so many layers that I look like I've ballooned two dress sizes since getting up this morning and if that isn't enough, I've actually started to wear my big black duvet jacket that I brought with me from the UK!

Then you get the smart alecs that tell you that you've finally aclimatised to Aussie weather - bullshit! Listen to the weather reports, this winter is bloody cold! Even the energy companies are struggling to keep up with the demand as we all try to stay warm. There is some things that don't understand about Aussie houses - they don't seem to have any insulation (hell, our house doesn't even have lining in the roof to stop the rain coming through! But fortunately the tiles to a good enough job unless one slips) and they don't have double glazing. Maybe they have more money than sense or maybe it's because not only am I used to it from the UK but it also makes financial sense - you can practically halve your energy bills. Even in the summer, it would help to keep places cool.

But apart from my whining about the weather and freezing my bits off (thank god for padded bra's, at least I can keep some things warm!) I've been doing very well with reading LOTR. In fact, I'm immensily enjoying it! I'm now on book 4, also known as half way through The Two Towers. As I finished the Fellowship of The Ring I decided to re-watch the film again and was surpried at how true to the book they had managed to get it, including some of Gandalfs words that were literally straight out of the book! Amazing! Once I've finished The Two Towers I will re-watch that film as well. The only thing I will say is that the book is no good to read after having a skinfull but what book is? LOL I've done that twice now as I've been so eager to continue with it. I also love the fact the book is really old and musty - it smells of so much history. Mum reckons it was probably read by quite a few sailors as my brother took it on ship with him. It might sound daft, but to me the book is almost like some part of family history and is the only thing of my brother's that I have. It's nice to think that I have something of his now that I live so far away. I really miss my big brother.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If it's any consolation I think you'd be just as cold at home for 'summer'

I sat with a hot water bottle last night!!