Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Packing police

So, we of course keep up to date as much as we can, with UK news. There has been yet another shooting leaving a biker dead. I'm not going into the why he was shot but it does make be question why the UK police force itself is against arming themselves with guns.

I've heard other ex-pats say that they feel unsafe here because the police are packing - you know what, I've actually felt safer. The police in Australia actually HAVE powers! Gee, there's a concept, the Police having the power to bring a criminal to justice rather than the crim taking the police to court because "he/she touched me!" Boo Hoo.

I have a huge respect for the Police force worldwide, I don't care in which country. To me they are the people that I turn to when I need help, if my car gets broken into or my house has a window smashed etc. All the Police I have dealt with over the years, both in the UK and here in Aus have been lovely. They have been helpfull and courteous and as stated before they have my full respect. I know that I could never do their job, particularly the UK police because their powers are so limited. If I was ever allowed to join the UK police force and let out on beat I'd be had for brutality because I would not be able to control myself against the idiots out there that know that the law is on their side! What justice is that! Nope, I'd be making sure that they had punishment, legal or not. And that is the biggest reason today that I have the utmost respect for the Police, because they know where they stand and just what they can do.

But back to guns - I'd like to know why the UK Police don't want to carry them. The amount of gun crime and more importantly killing, is on the increase, so to me it is only logical that the Poilce should arm themselves.
If the UK Police aren't happy with that, can we at least get some Aussie coppers across that are?
They can fly home with me in November for I shall miss them :-(

No comments: